Concerns have been raised about what the impact of the war in Ukraine will mean for the global food security as a result of increasing costs of farming.
In particular, issues with labour shortages, rising costs of logistics and rising input costs are the main areas of concern for farmers.
As a result Defra has set out 5 actions they will take to support farmers:
- Delay actions to reduce ammonia emissions by 12 months to April 2023
- Issue guidance to clarify Farming Rules for water requirements on manure and slurry
- Run a ‘fertiliser roundtable’ to discuss issues and key routes forward
- Set out more detail on the Sustainable Farming Incentive (SFI) scheme
- Issue the Farming innovation Programme to support ‘climate smart farming’ projects